Destin is located on Florida’s Panhandle in the Gulf of Mexico. Aside from the ocean, there is the Intercoastal Waterway and Bay offering a wide variety of water activities including snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, and fishing. The beach is beautiful white sand and the barrier islands are bursting with dining, shopping and golfing fun.
- Crab Island is a boating raft-up area where vendors sell food and treats in the summer.
- Sandestin has a 98-slip, public access Baytowne Marina that accommodates boats up to 140 feet.
- South Walton boasts 17 coastal dune lakes separated by sand barriers containing a mix of fresh and saltwater.
Long Island, NY
This island is 100 miles long and 20 miles wide. Situated near bustling New York City, it has calm bays and inlets as well as open ocean accessed by many marinas. It is divided into South and North shores containing inviting beaches, lots of maritime history, and the unique architecture of mansions and castles on the bluffs. The Hamptons boast celebrities as full- and part-time residents.
- Long Island is only minutes from Connecticut and Rhode Island and less than an hour to Massachusetts.
- Cruising around Manhattan takes some skill, but you can view everything from Lady Liberty to Yankee Stadium.
- The Sand’s Point Castle and Vanderbilt Mansion are open to public tours.
Newport is known for commercial and sport fishing, seafood processing, shipping, and recreation. It has aquariums, museums, and lighthouses; also, a great place for boating, whale-watching, and walking the beach. You need to be experienced to handle the tides and currents filled with fishing fleets and sailboats.
- Port of Newport Marina and the South Beach Marina have paved launch ramps, a fuel dock and parking for boats up to 48 feet.
- Newport’s summer temperatures are a comfortable 60 to 72 degrees.
- You can go Dungeness crabbing all year in Yaquina Bay and rent gear locally.
These three fabulous boating areas are part of a <larger series of articles> describing places you can call home.
Griffin, S., 2017. 10 Best Places to Live & Boat, Looking for a new boating home? Our list of 10 best places can help you find one! https://www.boatingmag.com/10-best-places-to-live-boat
Photo Credit: Pexels.com