Opinions may vary, but these boater-friendly destinations meet the criteria of being publicly accessible, convenient, and relaxing destinations where you can truly enjoy a boater’s lifestyle. Lake of the Ozarks, MO
This lake covers 55,000 acres and has 1,150 miles of shoreline. The marinas are full of every type of boat from speedboats to houseboats. There are plenty of public-access ramps and places to stay.
- Lake of the Ozarks State Park has more than 80 miles of shoreline and a 10-mile-long aquatic trail.
- The lake has many dockside cafes, boat, and gear rentals.
This place is for boating on rivers and calm lakes. Chickamauga Lake is part of the Tennessee River and is nearly 60-miles long. The boat launch area is in the 353-acre Booker T. Washington State Park and accesses activities like fishing, skiing, and cruising. The picnic sites have 3 pavilions that accommodate up to 60 people. Other launch areas and campsites are along the Blueway.
- The Harbor Lights Marina has dry storage and deep-water, open and sheltered slips.
- The Tennessee River Blueway stretches over 45 miles through Chattanooga and the Tennessee River Gorge where craft of all sizes share the river with commercial barges and bass boats.
- Chattanooga’s won three national awards for outstanding livability.
Arizona has many lakes filled with boats on weekends. Four Salt River impoundments offer scenic canyon walls, expansive scenery, coves and caves to explore, great fishing and lots of wildlife. Saguaro Lake is north of Phoenix, and Canyon Lake is to the east. Apache Lake has the Apache Trail spanning from Canyon Lake to Roosevelt Lake, 2 hours north.
- Roosevelt Lake is farthest from Phoenix; its 21,000 acres are served by several marinas.
- Lakes Havasu and Parker on the Colorado River draw speed boats in numbers unrivaled anywhere but in Miami.
- Lake Pleasant is 10,000 acres of water just 45 minutes from downtown with parking for 700-plus vehicles and trailers. The marina has campsites, a clubhouse, a heated pool, and spa.
While we only list a few destinations, feel free to read about more great places to <live and boat>.
Griffin, S., 2017. 10 Best Places to Live & Boat, Looking for a new boating home? Our list of 10 best places can help you find one! https://www.boatingmag.com/10-best-places-to-live-boat
Photo Credit: Tito Rebellious on Unsplash.com